Thursday, November 6, 2008

Day of the Dead


This past sunday we had a small Day of the Dead party. Felt good to share with my community when we've all been under stress over the looming election.











I cooked squash tacos from a recipe received from our CSA Terra Firma Farms newsletter. The prior weekend, I also gleaned tons of squash from the parking lot at open farm day. We were able to pick up all the stuff that was just going to rot such as strawberries, walnuts, and squash. I've been part of the CSA for ten years now but have never gone to one of their open farm days. The vibe is completely different than harvest festivals at county fairs. I felt like part owner/ community member at the CSA. The gathering was a celebration instead of just a money maker. I'll be going from now on.

For our party, our friend Aaron brought us a watermelon from his yard. He lives just down the hill in maxwell park. I've never had luck with watermelon yet but this gives me hope.

John Frando and Nik Lostracco from The Macarthur Metro came over to to interview us and take pics of our yard. You can look forward to seeing the article in december's issue. However, you wont be seeing much of me in the pics because i dressed up as a skeleton farmer for the party. and then realized...oops....the issue will be coming out around xmas so would confuse people

The following monday, I made Day after the Dead bread pudding with the leftover pan muerto. A very tasty way to use the leftover stale bread

Even though alot of negativity has sprouted up in our bay area bubble remember to hang on and bring together the people who are your allies. And to share in food and thought to help make it thru the dark times. I began planting my winter seeds which are beginning to sprout up giving me hope thru the cold rainy winter months.






No comments: