Thursday, July 10, 2008

Neighborhood Produce


Yesterday, I took another step away from dependence on oil. Scooter is instructing me on how to ride a bike again. I loved the freedom of it as a child with my little BMX mongoose but upon getting my 12 speed schwinn in junior high I became fearful. The machine was no longer part of me but an object that defied me. It was too tall for my little body with new mechanics to learn. And I was banished from the safety of sidewalks to the road. I gave up. That was in the suburbs of michigan. As I grew older and moved to bigger and denser cities, that fear grew. I've seen many car on bike collisions in san francisco.

But gas prices are rising, and I feel guilty every time i have to drive the car to our local market Farmer Joes or down to the library. I should be able to bike to these locations.

The hills by our house are too steep to learn on so scooter started me off on the flats of alameda which was fun. Hopefully step by step i'll get the confidence and strength to do more.


Upon returning from alameda, our mailbox was stuffed with a ziplock bag of apricots and zucchinis. A nice present. I was unsure who it came from at first. Maybe my friend Linda Jo, or possibly one of our neighbors. Turns out that it came from our friend Steve at Berkeley Signs. His family has a nice veggie garden and they are considering adding chickens after seeing ours! Anyways, this was the first time it really hit me that i have an abundance of friends who also have gardens and are working towards sustainability. What a perfect mystery

Our next door neighbors Stacy and Laurette gave us a huge bag of lemons from their tree a couple days ago as well. Once the heatwave breaks, it's time to bake some lemon bars!

No comments: