Wednesday, July 16, 2008

VIP Victory Garden

Attempted to volunteer at the SF Victory Garden community planting day. I brought along my friend Dustin who I'm initiating into the local food realm .Got up extra early on a saturday to make it across the bay and to city hall by 9am. The area was so guarded. The line of "greeters" wouldn't let us in since Dustin wasn't registered. I understand if they had too many people to plant but not being able to even look around to see what is happening. Ridiculous! Thus began my frustration.

This exclusivity has been my issue with the slow food movement. Their events Always feel like a VIP affair while permaculture events are generally welcoming to anybody. I thought this combined effort would be different. Seems they were more interested in photo ops than community.

I give props to Gavin Newsom for allowing the garden. Even if the motivation was for more tourism, it is still a good symbol. and i congratulate all the designers and volunteers from city slickers, ploughshares, garden for the environment that helped grow the plants and dig throughout the week...

But how can you integrate social justice into the food and green movement if you aren't allowed access or cant afford access.....

Maybe someday I can afford to eat at Chez Panisse....until then i'm doing my thing in my yard with friends and neighbors.

No comments: